Wednesday, November 28, 2012

AP Response: Blake is Back

This week's free writing prompt is based on another William Blake piece (remember that we saw another of his works, "The Mental Traveller," as we looked at the epigraph in Grendel).


A Poison Tree

I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I watered it in fears
Night and morning with my tears,
And I sunned it with smiles
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright,
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine - 

And into my garden stole
When the night had veiled the pole;
In the morning, glad, I see
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.

--William Blake


Some Free Response Tips:

  1. Remember that you still need a thesis even for a 1-2 page paper!
  2. On past free responses, I allowed you to start with a thesis because it is such a short piece.  However, this seemed to throw off the organization of some of the pieces.  I would encourage you to start with a true introduction from here on out.  
  3. Do NOT forget your in-text citations
  4. I definitely want you to write an analysis that includes a look at literary elements.  However, your thesis should be more than, "William Blake uses a lot of literary elements in "The Poison Tree" some are..."  You might start off with a hook.  Then say something like x is an important theme in the poem.  Blake uses lit element a and lit element b to make increase the poignancy of this theme for readers/to make the theme more tangible for readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment